Categories
king hugo and queen agnes of sweden

are zeus pods still being manufactured

$44 MediaLight Mk2 Flex 4m D65 6500CRI98 Bias Lighting USB powered ComputersTablets & Networking Laptop & Desktop Accessories USB Lights & Gadgets (I know you're supposed to replace each use for both the other companies, but it is possible to get more than one sesh out of each pod). I see the cummins split from Zeus around here was not a good thing myself. You get similar handling advantages to pods, but with less maintenanceand its easy to find a mechanic certified on Yamaha, Evinrude, Mercury, and other brands. A frequently overlooked benefit of IPS is this new stateroom, made possible by the compact power installation. While there has not been a flood of acceptance in the sport-fishing market for pod-drives, the cruising market has seen a larger number of owners making the transition away from conventional shaft-and-wheel boats. The vaporizers displayed on this website are not intended for or made to prevent, treat or diagnose any illness. At the 2005 Miami Boat Show Volvo Penta introduced its Inboard Performance System (IPS) and changed forever not only the way we run our boats but the way we think about running them. Zeus Pods need to be placed within a specific distance from the transom for a lot of performance reasons and because they include the automatic trim tabs as part of their standard offering. I had one of the first triple-outboard SeeVees made, but I was sick of buying the gas, and Ariel was gonna try the IPS. You must be at least 19 years from Canada and 21 years from USA to buy and/or use this website. The biggest difference between IPS's and Zeus pods is the position of the propeller. Big-game fishing is a pursuit rife with tradition and time-proven tactics. For the first few years pods appeared mostly on company demo boats tested by magazine writers, and received lots of press coverage, most of it extolling their handling advantages. Full details on shipping can be found here. Along with Volvo, who now makes the IPS drives from 260 to 1,000 hp, Cummins and MerCruiser partnered to join the fray with their Zeus pod-drive system, complete with SmartCraft monitoring and system management that integrates the vessels electronics, propulsion and onboard systems. The company has built exactly one 42-footer without pods since, versus a dozen boats with the pods option and another 50 of the new, pod-only 42-footer. First, hull efficiency was enhanced, because the props were always aligned with the direction of motion in the boat. But how do you compare boats? Outboards are, in my opinion, the most interesting. Pods require drive-oil changes every 250 hours or annually. And the Zeus pods also came with a joystick. You dont have to redesign it to get our joystick maneuvering system. Hes president of Petzolds Marine Center (petzolds.com) in Portland, Connecticut, a dealer for both Sabre and Regal, two boatbuilders that moved into pods early in the game. While builders debated the benefits of the different pod designs, many new boaters were simply seduced by the joystick maneuvering system. Such tales are grist for boaters imaginations, as is the mere idea of components made of expensive, finely machined alloys dangling below the boat, protected by neither keel nor shaft. Zeus ArcPods are finally here! Pod access aboard the Riviera 43 is through the cockpit sole. I am after some of Seaboards famous frank and honest advice: should I run away from pod drives.or go for them if they have a solid maintenance track record which I need to commit to maintaining.or go for them without hesitation because they really are the better technology? Use Volvo or Cummins zincs too, which arent zinc at all. But how much more, and how complex is pod maintenance? It is so nearly parallel to the boats keel that it enables pod-drives to lighten the vessel with smaller engines that still provide ample thrust to plane and power the now lighter boat. Zirk fittings require grease in U-joints and at both ends of jack shafts that connect engines to drives. I guess you could say I'm a power user that vapes around 1-2 grams a day and after almost a week of use, I'm still on my first ArcPod. There are a lot of traditionalists in that market.. The maneuverability of the boat is what sells it, especially in close quarters, he says. Pod performance has inspired outboard and stern-drive builders to develop similar control systems that can be retrofitted to existing boats, something not practical with pods. The owner of the boat spent almost 40k on the drives themselves and they were just under 8 years old. Once you go to 3 or 4 engines or pods, I'd rather have shafts as the fuel efficiency with triples is only 10% better and not worth the maintenance cost and in a 4 engine/pod installation they tend to burn the same amount of fuel AND much more maintenance of 4. Zeus Transmissions are available at ZF Marine! They said it was so easy a child could do it, and sure enough, it wasnt long before a lad barely out of kindergarten deftly maneuvered a 40-footer into a slip all by himself. If water is suspected inside any pod, get a mechanic aboard right away or risk internal damage. Regardless of prop orientation, the first drives were a far cry from the watchlike beauties brought forth by Volvo Penta and, later, Zeus and ZF Marine. Pods operate independently of one another to provide vectored thrust in any direction, which makes the vessel incredibly maneuverable. Whats another three grand, compared to the cost of a boat big enough and upscale enough for pod drives? 2023 Active Interest Media All Rights Reserved. The props themselves are patented. Pods also expand morning fluid checks to include the lazarette. A Bonnier LLC Company. Controlled at low speeds by a joystick rather than wheel, shifts, and throttles, pods take most of the angst, the apprehension, and, sometimes, the sheer terror out of close-quarters maneuvering. Volvo uses SAE 75w140 oil for both the transmission and lower unit. I liked the ZF right away. Then forward-thinking builders (Tiara, Cruisers, Regal, and Sabre among them) redesigned their boats for pod power and the technology became mainstream. Over time, fishing line will damage the seal, and it can score the shaft, too. It seems like this new tech gadgetry would have been off-putting to the salty captains, and it was, particularly among the sport-fisher crowds, who already had their docking and fish-fighting skills well honed. IPS followed with its own, and ZF ponied one up too. Like long-distance cruisers, sportfishermen have been slow to accept pods, in this case not because of perceived deficiencies but rather a reluctance to try anything that might reduce chances of success. ZF Marine entered the pod fray when its exclusivity agreement with Zeus expired. ArcPods were made to be reliable and convenient, allowing you to pre-pack up to 0.3 grams of dry herb in each capsule using the Xtruder. Volvo Penta officially introduced IPS (Inboard Performance System) pod drives at the 2005 Miami Boat Show; Cummins and ZF Marine followed, one and four years later, with their own versions. Pods are robust.. The pod-drive boats were clearly more maneuverable and accelerated more quickly than strut, shaft and -prop-drive inboards. by | Jul 3, 2022 | small rosary tattoo | Jul 3, 2022 | small rosary tattoo Siebert removes all loose paint from the drive, sanding down to shiny metal with 100-grit sandpaper, and then applies primer and two thin coats of Trilux 33 or Pettit Vivid copper thiocyanate anti-fouling paint. Sacrificial anode maintenance is both cheap and easily performed by the average inboard boat owner. As you will find by reading the articles on this forum about prop load and engine life, the resulting need to swap out your props with the Pods is expensive when compared to regular shafts and props. More interior room? Not cool to open two threads on similar subjects, yup, definitely my bad, rookie mistake, thought I was posting in the forum the first time around. Yes, you need to be concerned about steering and propulsion fluids (lower unit) but you are not dealing with shaft irregularities, cutlass bearing maintenance, and thruster maintenance. Pods require drive-oil changes every 250 hours or annually. Pod drives, including the Volvo Penta IPS, Cummins Zeus, ZF Marine POD 4000, and CAT Three60 POD 650 have taken the recreational boat market by storm during the recent past. For those first 25 hours, we use a break-in lube, said David Fessenden, a marine applications engineer with Cummins Atlantic. Maybe.) Like was said before I mirror there thoughts. And with good reasonthese propulsion systems offer several major-league advantages over traditional inboard power, so once a few savvy boaters got their hands on 'em . We only go around once anyway, so pay the money, grab the joystick, and have some angst-free enjoyment. FREE shipping on orders of $100.00 and above. But who cares, really? pathfinder kingmaker river's justice . Pods are comprised of some very costly components, but theoretically, their modular design should yield some countervailing savings in labor costs. I am considering buying a Meridian 441 flybridge motor yacht, which is 47 LOA and 31,000lbs. One described his skepticism like this: Its just too good to be true. All diesels need TLC, but pod systems need a bit more. From a long term maintenance perspective you are better off with a conventional drive line. However, the patent on forward-facing props a feature that Volvo Penta claims gives its drives better traction by letting the broad blades and narrow hubs of their counter-rotating props turn in clean water well below the surface was not utilized. We may request cookies to be set on your device. My experience is that they will work with their Cummins/Mercury dealers to lend a hand in unusual situations. Today, pod-powered boats are common in any yacht yard, and qualified service and repair technicians are easy to find along the waterfront. Our white marlin came in hot on the teasers we fished up close to the boat. Im a pessimist, however, and because of this Id budget $3,000, quite an upcharge from just replacing zincs. A little cheaper because it was in SoCal. When you put a pod system in, you try to do more with less.. Some really nice high tech features that most will never use. Click to enable/disable _ga - Google Analytics Cookie. Boats do sink from that very thing. Its fun. A racing motor with a warranty? Best of the old and the new.maybe. Hes also found them to be extremely reliable. Both throttle and steering. How Fuel-Efficient Are Pods, Exactly? I have personally ruled out any boat with PODS, IPS or ZEUS, for those 2 main reasons. Sensors and things like that. His company, Siebert Yacht Management commissions and maintains most new Sabre boats delivered to Palm Beach County, Florida, giving him considerable experience with Volvo IPS drives on Sabres 38- and 54-foot models and with Cummins Zeus drives on Sabres 42- and 48-footers, as well as those same hulls with conventional shafts. You can also change some of your preferences. Alas, the fact that electronics dont respond well to brute force may mean some service challenges, at least in the short term, which is why long-distance cruisers have, as a group, been wary of pods. Unless I lived/boated in the same area where existed the Mecca of Zeus Service Centers (wherever that may be) I would steer clear (no pun intended) . Pods also increase fuel economy and decrease vibration. Sea Ray sells the 460 Sundancer with twin 550-horsepower Cummins diesels, with either V-drive or Zeus drives; the Zeus option adds $113,333 to the $1,004,768 price, according to Sea Ray. Your are officially the first one to publish 4o% percent efficiency benefits for pods. Oh, and if youre a do-it-yourselfer, youll discover that a lot of pod maintenance requires specialized tools and training. With the joystick, my 12-year-old docks the boat.. A Bonnier LLC Company. Can anyone speak to when there were evolutionary changes in the Zeus pods? Rob makes a very good point about service network and availability of skill in your intended cruising area. ZF 63A with 4BT, flywheel torsion coupler issue??? I stay on top of the maintenance, oil and everything and never had a breakdown., Some people complain about the top-end speed of pods. ZF Marine entered the pod fray when its exclusivity agreement with Zeus expired. By turning one engine pod at a sharper angle than the other in a turn, they could narrow its radius. Using a ZF transmission, it could mate any marine engine (Yanmar and Caterpillar have been popular partners) to its pods. If the outer seal is damaged by debris, fishing line or rope, only the inner seal separates the pods innards from seawater. They also dont have cutlass bearings or shaft seals to monitor and replace, nor separate rudders and steering systems to maintain, saving money on those items over the long haul. We had a few bugs in my first IPS boat. I liked the idea of being able to handle the boat from the helm seat instead of standing up all the time. I'll also add that I REALLY like pods for the fuel efficiency (25-40% better) and maneuverability in a twin engine application. However, I think the best application I have run to date was a 39-foot SeaVee with pod-drives. But its also highly dependent on the application of the vessel. Long term cost of ownership based on 5- 10+ years of use, cruising long distances at economical wine & cheese hull speeds, ease of service (or just getting service or support) any time/any place. Otherwise you will be prompted again when opening a new browser window or new a tab. Most pods require service after a short break-in period at 25 hours or so. Thats a hard question to answer, due to the past 15 months, Meissner says, referring to the economic recession. If you refuse cookies we will remove all set cookies in our domain. On the Cummins side, only two Cummins dealers on the Chesapeake have been to Pod school. Painting pods will cost a bit more too. Arrogant factory leadership, poor parts fill, and high parts prices scared me off. The transmission and steering units are quite robust and I dont expect any serviceability issues from them. All rights reserved. Then with the joystick, it directs the transmissions to pivot or swivel. When pods vibrate, propellers or jack shaft bearings are the likely causes. We have, on occasion, sent oil out with no visible sign of water, but it showed up on the test. Oil analysis is inexpensiveusually under $200and worth doing at every change; finding a bad seal early will save thousands of dollars in repairs. It gets all the bubbles out of the wake, he says. Read the owners manual.) So the fact that pod systems are loaded with electronics actually makes them less prone to failureand unfortunately an unfathomable mystery to most mechanics. Petzold said the most common problem he sees with pods is owners not maintaining the corrosion protection. If that aint enough, Seven Marine builds a 557- or 627-horsepower small-block V-8 configured as an outboard motor. Marlin Magazine may receive financial compensation for products purchased through this site. The sport-fishing world has seen builders such as Spencer and Winter Custom Yachts introduce several pod boats. Some pods require draining. A very hard grounding is also likely to cost less with pods, since theyre meant to shear off and then go right back onto the boat with just a thorough service and new bolts. Volvos Active Corrosion System, which is standard on IPS 800 or larger drives, is similar. The ZEUS ArcPods have hit the 2022 market. Spencer Yachts builds an 87-footer with ZF pods, and Smith was integral to the development process. You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Can I Withdraw Money From My Payflex Card, How To Get Full Body Haki Blox Fruits, Carmax World Employee, Santa Barbara Pig Hunting, Articles A

are zeus pods still being manufactured