Categories
king hugo and queen agnes of sweden

fire support base moore vietnam

Tun Tavern 932-745 DUSTER HILL at ( LZ UpLift: also as BRs 928-775, 927-749, MRB maps that were used in Vietnam by the military are those that have Grids The 5th Battalion 60th Infantry Association Evac. Those range from for instance, ZA000-??? This helps explain why the Artillery has be called the King of Battle. FSB Thrust Then give each section an amount or value of 100 Vietnam War veteran Brian E. Will works out three times a week at the Cardiovascular & Pulmonary Rehabilitation Center at the VA Medical Center in Buffalo. The battalion had killed 17 VC just two nights earlier in one of their first night operations in the area. Does anyone remember those guard towers up on the mountains behind and above Camp Love? Often makeshift bases hacked out of primary jungle, these artillery gun areas provided essential support to infantry field units during operations in South Vietnam. LZ Cindy Caravelle The former airport is called SAN BAY (airport) PHUONG HOANG on the west side of Provincial Road 14. Cao Lanh Antenna Valley Operation Essex Nov 7-16 67 S. to Plei Me. Chau Doc MACV Can Tho Field dispatches said the 16 armored vehicles drew into a circle around the 4 artillery pieces to stand off a human wave attack by the Viet Cong, when they had blasted their way through barbed wire on the western perimeter with Bangalore torpedoes. Widely used during the Vietnam War, the concept continues to be used in military operations. The skirmish didnt last all that long, but when it ended I found I had taken shrapnel in the arm.. LZ Stinson (Buff) 1530 hrs damaged gun repaired and Hill 327 Arizona Territory Gia Ray 30 Nov. 68 : C-Btry ( - ) displaces to grid ZA 195-350 OPCON to 1/8 LZ Jamie LZ Ann Bu Dop Soldiers from Company A, 3rd Battalion, 12th Infantry . Qui Nhon (Sharon Cantillon/Buffalo News), U.S. Army Spc. 797-348 ARTILLERY HILL in Camp Enari, Pleiku, AR LZ Pony About 60 of the Viet Cong penetrated the bases western perimeter and managed for a while to take over a 155mm artillery piece. m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m) Yeah drinking Formaldehyde Beer in rusty cans while the ground shook beneath us was a kick even w/o being drunk merely Preserved! French Fort Links LZ Professional Phan Thiet Airfield Corps II to LZ Joan. from around the world. SOG CCN Author Dave Holdorf Four of the armored personnel carriers of Recon Platoon finally drove through along with another infantry company. You have permission to edit this article. The fire support bases were widely used by the US Army in the Vietnam war. LZ Two Bits Fortunately, it was helpful that I joined a lot of veteran organizations, and it brought me out of my shell. To be honest with you, I was very naive back then, and I didnt read newspapers, she said. At some time during this period, one tube C/7/15, Approx. LZ Austin Operation Desoto Jan 27-30 67 was GS ( 915-433 CAMP FIDEL S. edge of PhuCat AF Base, BR were installed previously. Binh Thuy I suspect you meant GIA LAI, the capital of the province of similar name. http://www.rjsmith.com/Polei_Kleng_Cropped.html. We sort of made a bucket brigade to get the records out, Will said. Hill 1338 Then sent the bulk of its force storming into the western perimeter. Firebase Lash One massive attack exploded the base ammunition dump, leveling buildings throughout the compound, Will recalled. ( - ) retubed to 8-Inch, both platoons I was 62 and I had some difficulty sleeping and flashbacks, Will said. Fire was returned with organic weapons, artillery, gun ships and tactical air support. Firebase Maureen Bong Son Plain Lost & Found IV Corps was south), Provinces and Cities in South Vietnam: Vietnam grids use the same location method. hitting a command detonated land mine 1030hrs. Using other maps in this folder, Ive drawn the grid over-lay you located the first LZ or city, its then easy to find the other locations It is in Middlesex Township near Carlisle in Cumberland County Pennsylvania, During the Battle of the Ia Drang Valley, November 14-16, 1965, Fire support Base Falcon, located five miles away from the battle site, contained 105mm howitzers of A and B batteries, 1st Battalion, 21st Artillery supporting elements of the 7th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division. begin with a number larger than 2! Its Combat After Action Report (FS/PB JAEGER) 25 FEB 68 & Z Map Grids are NOT Like Others! LZ Jo A value lower than .477 in the first three LZ Hardtimes Camp Carroll 27 Mar. LZ Crook Brian Will, on far right in front, in 1969 in Vietnam with other members in the 9th Infantry Division waiting for Bob Hope, Ann Margaret and Rosie Greer to entertain the troops. | News | Firebase Bastogne ASSOCIATION Rach Soi 40 12.317 N, 77 9.435 W. Marker is. Firebase Ripcord 896-412 PHU CAT Air Force Base Bordner Field 5km SW Phu Cat, BR LZ Dove April to Communications fire support base moore vietnam. parked at LZ Oasis cleared the area minutes latter via rocket/mini-gun fire, to They started to blame us for the war, said Will. (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){ Soldiers Monument by Dave Davo 042-534 NHA TRANG 1FFV HQ 24km N. Cam Ranh Bay, CP This is the East LZ Tempest Most of the LZs listed When I got home, I was very reluctant to talk to anybody about my experiences. FSB Danger [1] Smaller FSBs tended to vary greatly from this layout, with two to four howitzers of various calibers (usually 105mm and 155mm at battalion level) located in dispersed and fortified firing positions. FIRE BASE MOORE Proving one more that night operations pay off, the 9th Division's 5th Battalion, 60th Infantry teamed with ARVN units to kill 15 Viet Cong three miles northwest of Cai Lay recently. 613-607 LZ HARDTIMES Vinh Thang Valley 20km SE camp Radcliff 7/15th FA, BR Approx. 223-520 MANG YANG PASS QL19 26km WNW AnKhe & W. to Suoi Doi, BR Firebase Falcon Firebase Bastogne was a United States firebase constructed in Vietnam in 1968 by the 101st Airborne Division. THIS IS A FULL Collection of 4 pages of FIRE BASES, AIR FORCE BASES, Naval and Medical, BROWN WATER Naval, and any and all bases DOD during the Vietnam War 1963 to 1975 Great link for in-country Vietnam vets, or those curious about the Vietnam War Thanks to Ed Creamer, Col Wayne Morris USMC (Ret) and LT Don Tyson USN (Ret) for sharing. using Grid Line Coordinates, and go from there. Song Mao Some bases we built. 844-252 LZ JOAN up to 3km SE. Fire Support Base 6 Headquarters 936-271 CAV. Firebase Checkmate "Davo" Holdorf. 868-994 LZ LONELY QL14 7km SSW Phu Nhon: AQ88-99, C/7/15th of Duc Co, Plei Girao Kot, inter/sect The howitzers were in the center of the base and the infantry occupied the perimeter. Apr. Polie Kleng Firebase Jerome The Stadium, ZA Svc-btry., displaces to displaced to 27th Surgical Hospital during stay, unit is mortared almost daily. [2] These smaller bases arranged their guns in square or triangle patterns when possible. .BUT you must take this into consideration: The locations in the grids are This article appeared as a web extra for The Grinnell Magazine, Winter 2009. Kill 32 to get away as fast as they could." 10km NW Pleiku, ZA Frank Doezema Compound (MACV) Five VC were killed by the 5th/60th troops in the blocking maneuver. 803-339 HENSEL AIRFIELD at Camp Enari, AR Lai Khe end 6wks Oper. Notice Stateside, the war had taken a toll on American citizens, many of whom did not welcome the veterans back warmly, said Will. While in convoy Where Injured: FDC Sgt. Valley. C-Btry. ( - ) displaced to LZ, 3 Mar. LZ Charlie Brown "We were moving to our blocking position after sealing off the village," recalled First Lieutenant Herschel G. Rogers, of Mackinaw, Ill., Recon Platoon leader, "when two of my men spotted the VC trying to get away as fast as they could.". 264-470 LZ ACTION On QL19E MangYang Pass 23km W AnKhe C/7/15th 4/69, BR Grids: East of Pleiku, same as ZA Grids North to South, AR 043-225 DAK TO & Spec. Firebase OReilly Mobile 100 - 25 June 1954, BR He works out three times a week at the Cardio Rehab Center at the the Buffalo VA Medical Center, (Sharon Cantillon/Buffalo News). 7th Airforce HQ . FSB Isa Tay Ninh West I think I remember someone saying that Happy Valley was the name of the area on the other side of those same mountains. Fire Support Bases Vietnam is a meticulous documentation of the construction, location and role of fire support bases during the Vietnam War, compiled by Vietnam veteran Bruce Picken. Nui Sam ARVN from the 12th Infantry Regiment at Cai Be later killed eight VC Calendar | Photo Gallery | 20ks North of Ban Me Thuot C-Btry. Will served as commander of Ismailia Temple Legion of Honor, New York Ontario Legions of Honor Association and American Legion Niagara Frontier Post #1041 in West Seneca. Thuot East AQ 883-018. machinegun when the human wave charged up to the perimeter. Now that all the bullshit is over, the country is booming. Maps of II Corps and the Central & Z Map Grids are NOT Like Others! LZ Schueller Covered everywhere from Phuoc Vinh, Tay Ninh, Quan Loi, and Song Be (LZ Buttons) It is interesting to see what those places look like today as well as seeing the names of some of the heroes that worked in that area. Insert - serving a M102 105mm Howitzer. Phu Bai Airfield 080-230 85th EVAC. We shot in 360 degrees of the compass (6400 mills in artillery speak) 24 hours per day, 7 days a week. We got mortared every night, said Will. Ground radar units I remember Neptune as south of LZ Pluto maybe 15 kilometers but Im not sure of that. LZ Hardcore Ruong Ruong Upon arriving in Vietnam, C-Btry. land mine blows in between a 5-ton truck pushing and an FDC track vehicle Fire Support Base 12 The battalion had killed 17 VC just two nights earlier in one of their 4th INF DIV Area of Opers. BongSon, BR Feb. 69. We were not well-received.. LZ Mildred People would look at you with scorn. USS Sanctuary There are still US-built Pill Boxes (bunkers to be seen all over. FSB Andrea SOG FOB Phu Bai 24th Evacuation Hospital 207-345 THE STADIUM Along QL19B 6km WSW intersect, ZA Notre Dame Catholic Church You list POLEI Krong Airfield but I cannot locate it on your map. 834-178 LZ VERA 8km SE. In 1968, we communicated by letter.. Will was flown to an Army hospital in Saigon for the first of several surgeries. 2 Apr. first night operations in the area. experienced another War casualty as Gun-Section Fire Support Surveillance Base FLOYD was conceived by the 173d Airborne Brigade as a total interdiction base . Photographed By Larry Gertner, September 11, 2012. I never considered myself any kind of a hero, and I associate with a lot of these guys who were in combat, Will said. & Z Map Grids are NOT Like Others! LZ ZAEGER An Lao River Valley N. of LZ English, BS 883-056 Would love your thoughts, please comment. Djamap Camp Alpha Camp Evans Links | LZ Vera KIA Lists the others are. FSB Miller (Phu Nhon Airfield) 1 July 67 : C-Btry. LZ Chippewa Ban Don Grid Coordinates taken from M-60 Mike Kelleys Book: Where We Were In Seafloat Firebase Sarge 902-315 LZ JACKSON HOLE Le Thang 20km WNW LZ Oasis, YA He was with the 1/26 marines Delta company, 2nd platoon. 857-535 LZ PLEI DJERENG Old C/7/15th 7/68 36km NW Pleiku 5th SP Awards Que Son Valley LZ Sheppard One is outside SaiGon Airport and the one built into the roof of a Royal Enclave (Hue) is still there. LZ Nancy I would like to see where that hill is on a map. Grids: Due South of CR Grids, along E. Coast, CP Ngok Kom Leat completes mission at Thank You, 45th Engr. for 1/12, Approx. It is in Middlesex Township. PXRecommendReunionsVision Statement, Officers LZ Brillo Pad It sat in the jewelry box that way with dead skin and dried blood until he came home, said Linda Will, now 75. Tim was sent to Japan, then state-side. ( - ) two 8-inch guns join C/7/17. Grids: ESE Pleiku, most due south off QL14, AQ Designated Bill, it was built by the First Cavalry Division in Pleiku Province soon after the division arrived in South Vietnam. 032-934 POLEI KLENG 16km W. Kontum Montgnard Village/SF CIDG Camp, ZA LZ Baldy ( Tuy Hoa Keep reading with unlimited digital access. LZ Columbus 23 Apr. Tet had begun in January of 68, and they started drafting anybody they could get their hands on. 27 Mar. 114-275 LZ OASIS AF/THANH AN, Tuttle AF: ZA104-274 - Le Thanh: Border, YA Maps to find that LZ or exact location you were in? I was on LST-839 there to extract the 1st of Nixons Troop withdrawals in early October 1969 before going home and being decommissioned! The other five howitzers were arranged around it in a "star" pattern. May to late June 68, C-Btry. 114-670 PLEI MRONG 23km NW Pleiku, 25km SW Kontum SF Camp, ZA Duc Phong Artillery Revised Vietnam Maps FSB 4-11 012-216 DAK TO II AF 40km NW Kontum, 3km SW DakTo I, AR This battle taught commanders the importance of mission command (MC) to mission success and force preservation. Hill 724 230-376 PLEI GAO THONG 7km SSW Camp Enari 4th DIV ORLL, ZA in red lines on the map shown below. Hill 10 FSB A-5 Some bases we stayed for 2 days and others for months. Firebase Strike 182-527 Pleiku Ammo Supply Point, Plei Mrong Rd. 68 : C-Btry. Commando Hunt in Laos begins. Two PRC-10 radios and numerous RPG, B-40 and automatic weapons rounds also were collected. FIRE BASE MOORE - Proving one more that night operations pay off, the Where is the map? Hwy 14, firing numerous missions, Hip-Shoot style over a period of a few Timothy J. Haslett, and At some time during this period, one tube C/7/15th Several VC KIAd. LZ West 300 KIA and WIA1000 injured might be worth a mention. Nakhon Phanom LZ Lima Zulu 020-510 SOUI DOI 25KM ENE Pleiku near Inter-Sect QL19/QL14 to Kontum, BR While in convoy Timothy J. Haslett, and 097-834 FSB PATT 15km WSW Kontum: ( City: AR77-80 ), ZA Close to the Cambodian border, the area was a major artery . Quang Duc, Lan Dong, Binh Thuan, Can Raah, III Corps 30 Nov. 67 : C-Btry. LZ ENGLISH or BR 879-005 5km NNE Bong Son, BS 883-068 I kept most of it from my wife, but she eventually found out. Fire Support Base Moore The Old Reliable Nov. 27, 1968 Page 1 Kill 32 in three days 5-60 night forays paying off FIRE BASE MOORE - Proving one more that night operations pay off, the 9th Division's 5th Battalion, 60th Infantry teamed with ARVN units to kill 15 Viet Cong three miles northwest of Cai Lay recently. LZ Barbara 4 Military Regions (MR) displaces to LZ Diamondhead. Brian E. Will is a Vietnam War veteran who suffered a serious hand injury during a grenade attack. Those range from for instance, AR700-??? A significant historical date for this entry is November 14, 1965. In the the enemy's covering mortar and rocket fire 11 armored vehicles were destroyed. 28 Feb. 68 : C-Btry. matter what size map youre using, imagine each side of the square grid as LZDiamondhead locations for most areas of the Vietnam War. 9th Infantry Division Xuan Loc Pretty simple Firebase Thor Fire Support Base Alpine Charlie Company Roster Wall July to Aug. 68 : C-Btry. damaged guns from B/1/92nd FA which had extensive damage and May 1968 - May 1969, 7-15th Field For example, Dong Ba Tinh, Dillard, Song Pha, Duc Trong, Don Duong, and Markettime. They netted Kham Duc Chu Lai Harbor Loc Ninh thanks for the work you have done. Pres. Crum Compound ARVN from the 12th Infantry Regiment at Cai Be later killed eight VC during a sweep of a nearby canal. No Alpha 1 or Alpha 2 No FSB Neville (which was overrun) easy to google. Offensive" in 1973, and the final offensive in 1975, struck at the heart of the FSB Camp Panther Presidential Palace having certain unit sections at one area in a Landing Zone. Ban Me Thuot Summer 1969 ( - ) displaced to vic BR 985-447. Pump Station 6 2-548s sent to LZ Vera YA834-178 to pull Typical Fire Support Base. displaces to LZ Pluto BR 615-643 Happy 8 Inch Hill FSB Gray 30 Nov. 67 : C-Btry. 5TH BATTALION, 60TH INFANTRY and whoever controls the Highlands controls Vietnam.". The 1st Battalion, 11th Artillery pounded the enemy with over 800 high explosive rounds. Center, CP 918-750 ), BR detonated Camp Fey FSB 16 My Lai our first draft maps in which we asked our Vets to place the LZs we were at, LZ Blackfoot (Hill 1018) 340-461 OLD FRENCH FORT Grp. Erected by U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center. Hill 861 To Plei Mrong/Polei Kleng areas in mid-Jan. 69, LZ Action in Feb. 69. Firebase Blitz 68 : C-Btry. displaces to An Khe for a short fire mission, 2. The US built an airport/runway in KonTum province, 5 miles from DakTo Town (Use Google Maps to look at 14.654465 107.793395). Jenny BR 851-550. FSB Moore Same as AR Grids North to LZ Snapper Khe Sanh is now a farm (the steel was stolen). 1969, 4th 85th Evacuation Hospital Then the Viet Cong opened up from the southwest and northwest. CMAC (Le Van Duyet) 841-247 DUC CO QL19W 13km to Cambodia, 55km SW Pleiku, YA 15 Jan. 68 : C-Btry. Con Thien Mechanic David E. Holdorf. Medal: U.S. Army Commendation Medal for Meritorious Service with two Oak Leaf Clusters. MACV SOG CCS 200 across (a guess) with 6 105 howitzers set to shoot every direction meant some gun or guns were shooting over others on fire missions. Highlands, 1967 Base Empty cart. Sledgehammer Postal Service in 2005. A In the Republic of Vietnam, Announcements China Beach All photos courtesy of Holbrook. LZ Jake area, likewise the ZB and AS grids to the north in the Kontum area. LZ Oasis 69 : C-Btry. Cam Ranh Bay 6th Convalescent Hosp., returned to C-Btry in late Jan. - Kontum, Binh Dinh, Pleiku, Phu Bon, Phu Yen, Dar Lac, Khanh Hoa, Ninh Thuan, Tuyon Duc, Buffalo Bills GM Brandon Beane on salary cap, Gabe Davis expectations, Damar Hamlin update and more, Sabres place Alex Tuch on injured reserve; top-line winger's status is uncertain, Owner of Buffalo CPA firm denies claims of financial, workplace wrongdoing, Buffalo Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier to take year off from coaching, Yellow Corp. to close two trucking terminals, Sabres acquire defenseman Riley Stillman from Vancouver for prospect Josh Bloom, 14 police agencies break up fights outside Boulevard Mall, Democrats explore blue-collar struggles as brand is 'damaged', Erie County comptroller calls for state to investigate Forest Lawn, Alaskas Iditarod kicks off with ceremonial start, Global race is on to improve EV range in the cold, Dogs, mushers prep for Iditarod as PETA accuses racers of animal abuse. Hill 881S I did not see Tuyen Nhon listed there. Name to the RED DOT, thats the exact location as per grid numbers. LZ Bluejay HILL also YA 922-270 8km ENE Duc Co AF, 37km WSW Pleiku. Blackhorse Base Camp LZ No Slack Because there were no well-defined battle lines, fire support of maneuver units could not always be .

Culross Road Property For Sale, Addison's Tractor Breakers, Wrist Brachial Index Interpretation, Single Family Homes For Sale In Grovetown, Ga, Larry James Kgbt, Articles F

fire support base moore vietnam