Categories
king hugo and queen agnes of sweden

richard blum obituary

By Alex Traub Feb. 28, 2022 Richard C. Blum, a financier and major donor to Democrats above all his wife, Senator Dianne Feinstein of California died on Sunday at the family home in San. Feinstein announced her husband's death in a statement Monday morning that said her "heart is broken today." [5], In the 1970s, Blum supported then Mayor of San Francisco George Moscone. In 2020, a state audit found that dozens of students were admitted to selective UC campuses over more qualified applicants because of exaggerated athletic abilities, wealth and connections. our Subscriber Agreement and by copyright law. It was always a great pleasure to break bread together, compare notes and catch up, Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said on the Senate floor Monday. [3] He attended San Francisco public schools. My husband was my partner and best friend for more than 40 years. Her stories led to changes in charter school laws, prompted a ban on Scientology in California public schools, and exposed cheating and censorship in testing.A past president of the Society of Professional Journalists' Northern California chapter, Nanette has a master's degree in journalism from Columbia University and a B.A. He attended Wall Lake Community School and graduated with the class of 1961. No, the worst thing for me is boredom until catastrophe hits, he said. Blums death comes as Feinstein, the Senates oldest member, struggles with low approval ratings and calls for her resignation from some progressive members of the Democratic Party. He published his memoir in 2016, An Accident of Geography: Compassion, Innovation and the Fight Against Poverty. In it, he says he was thrilled to learn in 1953 that people had reached the top of Mount Everest for the first time but also felt jealous. Atomic Monster and Blumhouse are teaming up with Behaviour Interactive, the largest Canadian gaming studio . Seema Mehta is a political writer who is covering the 2022 midterm elections that will determine control of Congress. He was by my side for the good times and for the challenges. Tributes for Blum poured in from some of the most powerful politicians in the country Monday. Dick was a friend for over 40 years. A 2020 state audit of UCs admissions process accused him of writing an inappropriate letter of support to help a student get into UC Berkeley. Blum was 23 and fresh out of UC Berkeley with two business degrees in 1959 when he joined Sutro & Co., an investment brokerage firm that would make him a partner before he turned 30. My husband was my partner and. Blum served as president and chairman of Blum Capital Partners, an equity investment company he founded in 1975, and was a longtime member for the University of California Board of Regents, the body that oversees the system. Richard Charles Blum (July 31, 1935 February 27, 2022) was an American investor and the husband of United States Senator Dianne Feinstein. Pillsbury acquired the Burger King business in 1967, and a year later, BBDO was signed on as the company's advertising agency. Blum was a longtime donor to Democratic candidates and liberal causes. Eileen was born in Bridgeton NJ and grew up in Daretown, the daughter of Quinton Reeves & Mildred Schaeffer Hackett. He was predeceased by : his parents, Herman A. Blum and Catherine Blum (Gibson); his friend Violet Franklin; his sister-in-law Carol; and his nephew Jamie Blum. Grief researchers say holding that missing funeral service, even a year or more later, can still help us heal. There he earned a reputation as a no-nonsense chairperson of the board for nearly three years and got things done: reining in UCs high-spending Office of the President in the mid-2000s, easing out that eras ineffective president and, in 2008, tapping a new president, Mark Yudof, whose five-year tenure was seen by many as beneficial for the university system. "She said her husband, a wealthy San Francisco Rep. Jeff Van Drew, R-N.J., told Newsmax Saturday that Attorney General Merrick Garland has been a "failure" running the. For some people, the best send-off is one that they would have loved to attendthemselves: a big party. Richard grew up in the Marshfield area and after graduating high school entered the Air Force. A longtime friend of the Dalai Lama, Blum was an honorary consul of Nepal. They married in 1980. Angela and I send our deepest condolences and prayers to Dianne and her family in this difficult time.. "We are saddened to learn that longtime UC Regent Dick Blum passed away late Sunday, and . As a young partner at the San Francisco brokerage Sutro & Co., Blum in 1968 spearheaded the companys $8-million purchase of the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus. Richard Blum never feared to speak the truth the man has guts whether to governors, fellow regents, students, staff, faculty or media, Yudof said in the foreword to Blums oral history, recorded during more than 20 hours from 2009 to 2014 by three interviewers and stored at the Bancroft Library of UC Berkeley. Richard Blum, husband of California Sen. Dianne Feinstein, died Sunday after a long battle with cancer. In addition to Ms. Feinstein, Mr. Blum is survived by a brother, Robert; his daughters, Annette, Heidi and Eileen; his stepdaughter, Katherine; and seven grandchildren. Boredom has never worked for me, Blum told an interviewer for the oral history, explaining why he chose investments over the shirt trade or fruit-packing, both early options. He was by my side for the good times and for the challenges. Richard Blum, husband of California Sen. Dianne Feinstein, died Sunday after a long battle with cancer. "My heart is broken today," the Democratic senator, 88, said in a statement Monday, calling her husband her "partner and best friend for more than 40 years." In 1971 the family moved to Columbia, MD and Richard attended Sandy Spring Friends School and Wilde Lake High School. The relationship continued until July 1976. The importance of saying "I love you" during COVID-19, Effective ways of dealing with the grieving process, Solutions to show your sympathy safely during the Covid-19 pandemic. Richard Blum, Political Donor and Husband of Senator Feinstein, Dies at 86, https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/28/us/politics/richard-blum-dead.html. As a role model, Dick was second to none, and I think his compassion and devotion to the people of the Himalayan region may prove to be his most enduring legacy, Feinstein said. He also dedicated much of his life to the people of the Himalayas, founding the American Himalayan Foundation in 1981 something Feinstein described as one of his proudest achievements.. My husband was my partner and best friend for more than 40 years. Richard L. Blum Aug. 16, 1935 - July 31, 2021 Aug 16, 2021 Richard L. Blum was born Aug. 16, 1935 to Lester and Virginia Blum (Sutton) in Marshfield, Wis. and passed away July 31, 2021 in Oregon. The husband of Sen. Dianne Feinstein, Richard Blum, died Sunday "after a long battle with cancer," she said in a statement. Sympathy Ideas. His friendship with the Dalai Lama helped shape us, and his creation of the American Himalayan Foundation was one of his proudest achievements.. He was a member of the Vietnam Veteran of America, Chapter 827 Herkimer County, North East Vietnam Veterans of Freehold. His mother, Louise Hirsch, was born in El Paso, Texas and grew up in San Francisco. Months later, former Supervisor Dan White assassinated Mayor George Moscone and Supervisor Harvey Milk, propelling Feinstein to the citys top spot. We are so deeply sorry for your loss. He was 86 years old. He had great interest in Tibet, founding the American Himalayan Foundation, a San Francisco-based non-profit to help Nepalis, Tibetans and Sherpas in the area by funding hospitals, building schools and taking care of the elderly and children. My heart is heavy for @SenFeinstein who has lost her husband, Richard.Richard Blum was a devoted husband, father, and grandfather who touched the lives of many.I will keep the Feinstein family and all who loved Richard in my prayers.May his memory be a blessing. He never tires of telling people that, when they married, he decided to keep his maiden name, Yudof quipped. Called by the nickname "Blos" by many of his friends, he was an outdoorsman who was an early runner, skier, mountain climber, hiker and distance bike rider. A 1990 profile of Blum published in the lead-up to Feinsteins unsuccessful gubernatorial run painted him as a well-connected man of many passions and interests. Richard Dale Blum was born on December 12, 1927 in Terril, Iowa and passed away on February 6, 2022 in Gainesville, Florida. He was 86. Prominent San Francisco real estate developer, philanthropist and Democratic donor Mark Buell recalled meeting Blum when he and Feinstein first started dating. The death of an American investor and husband of United States Senator Dianne Feinstein Richard Blum came as a shock to his friends and family. Richard Charles Blum (July 31, 1935 - February 27, 2022) was an American investor and the husband of United States Senator Dianne Feinstein. Los Angeles, ICE detainees allege retaliation for speaking about medical conditions at Otay Mesa center, Downtown L.A stabbing sends six to hospital; suspect arrested, San Diego Roman Catholic diocese facing yet another lawsuit from its insurance company, K-Pop isnt the only hot ticket in Koreatown how trot is captivating immigrants, Los Angeles is suddenly awash in waterfalls. The attraction was instant and mutual, Feinstein wrote. please know i've been thinking of your beautiful family all week .my deepest regards lois, Dear Jane and John, All the trustees join me in expressing our condolence and deepest sympathy at your father's passing. The talk was sponsored by his American Himalayan Foundation and the Blum Center for Developing Economies at Berkeley. History United States 1958. Find an Obituary. [2], Blum was born in San Francisco, California, to a Jewish family. Before Doug Emhoff [Harris husband and the nations first gentleman], Dick was sort of the model of the consort, and I think he did a good job. When he and the group touched its slopes, he said, We were all in tears because, as far as we know, no human being had ever done that before.. Emily was a USC Center for Health Journalism fellow in 2021 and a Renaissance Journalism Equity Reporting Project fellow in 2014. For non-personal use or to order multiple copies, please contact My heart is broken today, Feinstein said in a statement. Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus, The World Conference of Religions for Peace, "Deal-Maker's Worlds Mesh at Party in S.F. Richard Blum, chairman emeritus of the University of California Board of Regents and husband of U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein, has died from cancer. [3] After Moscone's assassination, Blum supported the new mayor Dianne Feinstein; they married in 1980. He was born on December 22, 1930 in Canton, Ohio, graduated from St. Louis University, and worked in Insurance and Investment Sales. Dick was a close friend for over seventy years and I will miss him very much. When you carry a deep passion, what might seem like magical thinking can lead to something very real, he wrote, noting that, inspired by the Everest triumph, his passion evolved into finding ways to help the people of Nepal, Tibet and elsewhere in those mountain ranges improve their lives.. Blums revelation triggered a UC investigation in Sept. 2020 aimed at determining whether he had violated a long-standing regents policy prohibiting such influence and, if so, what to do about it. The Man Behind the Woman Who Would Be Governor : Politics: Dianne Feinsteins husband, Richard Blum, is a shrewd businessman, a friend of the famous, with a Lt. We have a hole in our hearts that will never be filled, Feinstein said. ", "Billion Dollar Baby: The University of California invests $53 million in two diploma mills owned by a regent. Thank you for your very brave service to our country ! The first Burger King television commercial was broadcast on Miami's VHF station. He was 86.Feinstein announced her husband's death in a statement Monday morning that said her "heart is broken today. Richard J. Blum (1931-2022), a lifelong resident of Cleveland, died of complications of Parkinson's on January 22, 2022. Richard Blum lived an extraordinary life, and he left this world better than he found it lifting up our communities and helping connect people from across the globe, Newsom said. Called by the nickname "Blos" by many of his friends, he was an outdoorsman who was an early runner, skier, mountain climber, hiker and distance bike rider. [4] He received his Bachelor of Science in business administration in 1958 and a Master of Business Administration in 1959 from the Haas School of Business of the University of California, Berkeley. Dick was a family man, a man Arlen Richard Blum's Obituary - San Jose, California | Ever Loved Richard Blum with the Himalaya Foundation in an undated photo. Visitation will be on Friday, July 24, 2020 from 11:00am until the time of the memorial service at 12pm all at DeFiore Funeral Home-10763 Dundee Road, Huntley. Feinstein, 88, has missed votes in recent weeks as her husband's health declined, contributing to Democrats' fragile 50-50 majority. If youre in charge of handling the affairs for a recently deceased loved one, this guide offers a helpful checklist. Friends and associates at the time described him as an aggressive straight shooter with boundless drive and a disarming Lt. About five years ago, when Buell was chairing an effort to bring the Americas Cup to San Francisco, Blum donated not because of a great attachment to sailing, Buell said, but because it was civic, and I think thats a good reflection of who he was.. As a role model, Dick was second to none, and I think his compassion and devotion to the people of the Himalayan region may prove to be his most enduring legacy, she said. He remained its president until his retirement a decade ago. [32] He was hospitalized in September 2021 for an undisclosed reason. No. There he gathered investors who bought the venerable big top for $8 million in 1968. All Access Digital offer for just 99 cents! Summer Lin covers breaking news and general assignment for The Mercury News. I hope the service on Friday, and the love from family and friends who attended brought you comfort at this time of grief. Richard Blum, the husband of Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), died on Sunday at age 86 after living with cancer for years. PUBLISHED: September 24, 2020 at 10:28 a.m. | UPDATED: September 25, 2020 at 6:30 a.m. Richard Blum, a wealthy investment banker and Sen. Dianne Feinstein's husband, was revealed Thursday as the . He was 86. Online collections of folk songs going back hundreds of years. American. In 1977, Feinstein, then president of the Board of Supervisors, met with Blum for a briefing on an economic report. After Bertram Feinsteins death, Dianne Feinstein again met with Blum for an economic update, and a romance soon blossomed, with Feinstein even accompanying Blum on a 1978 trip to India and Nepal. Mr. Blum ran his own investment firm, Blum Capital Partners, and during his career as an investment banker and financial manager his clients included large institutions like Bank of America. Write your message of sympathy today. Richard Charles Blum was born on July 31, 1935, in San Francisco to Louise Hirsch and Herbert Blum, a seller of robes and raincoats who died during Richards boyhood. At the time, she was preoccupied with the illness of her second husband, neurosurgeon Bertram Feinstein, who later died of colon cancer in 1978. Login or Sign-up to show all important data, death records and obituaries absolutely for free! The only problem was his enthusiasm was so intense it was sometimes hard to get him off the phone. His net worth was estimated to exceed $1 billion. In 2006, the financier opened the Blum Center for Developing Economies at UC Berkeley so students could learn to address urgent problems around the world. Blum died Sunday at the family home in San Francisco after a long battle with cancer, Feinsteins office said Monday. His tenure as a regent was not without controversy, however. The senator issued a . A graveside service will take place in Oak Hill cemetery this spring at a time to be announced. The Blum boys were sent for two years to a military academy in San Rafael where they met another future financier, Warren Hellman. San Francisco financier Richard Charles Blum, whose extraordinary life took him from the halls of power in Washington as the husband of U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein to the mountains of Nepal and Tibet as a philanthropist, died Sunday night at his home. I think its a bunch of nonsense.. A public memorial service will be held at 11 a.m. on Friday, March 4, at Congregation Emanu-El in San Francisco. Beloved husband of Carolyn; loving father of Rick (Beth) Blum; Jennifer (Mark) Stacy and Karen (William) Spencer; devoted grandfather of Katharine, Eric, Abby, Libby, Sarah, and Charlie; dear brother of Philip (Carla) Blum. She said her husband, a wealthy San Francisco investor, left things better than he found them and was devoted to his family. Mondales co-national chairman later said that Mondale didnt pick Feinstein because of Blums business dealings. After the circus deal which he signed, somewhat theatrically, at the Colosseum in Rome he founded what would later be known as Blum Capital Partners in 1975 and also kept his hand in politics as chair of then-San Francisco Mayor George Moscones Fiscal Advisory Committee. The Blum Lab for Developing Economies a partnership with the Milken Innovation Center at the Jerusalem Institute for Policy Research was officially launched two years ago. Blums father built a home in the citys Ingleside Terraces neighborhood and, with younger brother Robert, the family moved in. Besides his parents, he was preceded in death by his long time loyal friend, Violet Franklin, on July 25, 2018, a sister-in-law, Carol and nephew, Jamie Blum. It was only during his final months that he sought government office, informing President Biden early last year that he hoped to be made an ambassador. Editorial: IRS blew it with California tax-filing extension, Opinion: Newsoms budget cuts threaten public health investment. Richard Blum and Dianne Feinstein had been married since 1980. In his younger days he was a boxing enthusiast, going by the name of Sonny Niles. Photo by Mark Costantini / San Francisco Chronicle. Senator Dianne Feinstein is embraced by her husband Richard Blum (left) after being re-elected for Senator at the Presidio Officers Club in San Francisco, California, on Tuesday, Nov. 6, 2018. In recent months, Feinstein spent considerable time away from her Senate schedule in Washington to be with him. He proposed attempting Everests summit in 1983, but Blums new wife said: You are not going. And he didnt, as the prospect of losing Blum down a frozen crevasse might have broken Feinstein at that time. But, again with Mr. Blums financial help, she won election to the Senate in 1992. Fall 2022 President's, Dean's lists and graduates. He served on former President Barack Obama's Global Development Council. She. . Unless you are experienced as an estate executor, you probably should hire an attorney. financier, UC regent and husband of Sen. Dianne Feinstein", "The man behind URS, next to Sen. Feinstein", "San Francisco Mayor Is Planning To Marry an Investment Banker", "Fact Check: Did Sen. Feinstein get a sweetheart deal on post office sales for her husband? Grief Support. Mayor Dianne Feinstein and husband Richard Blum cut the cake after they are married at City Hall, January 20, 1980 Photo ran 01/21/1980, P. 2. Feinstein's husband, University of California Regent Richard Blum, was named Thursday, Sept. 24, 2020, by the state auditor's office as one of the regents involved in admissions scandal where UC . | Funeral Home Website by Batesville Home | Blos was a wonderful, high energy enthusiast person. https://www.wsj.com/articles/richard-blum-husband-of-dianne-feinstein-dies-at-age-86-11646069883. She is up for re-election in 2024, but has not yet said whether she intends to seek another term. He remained her closest confidant and most reliable fund-raiser through her mayoralty, which ended in 1988. He was 86. He also befriended Sir Edmund Hillary, one of the first climbers to have reached Mount Everest, and attempted his own trek in 1981. Copyright 2023 The Associated Press. [7] Blum previously served as chairman of the board of directors of CB Richard Ellis,[8][9] as well as serving as director on the boards of directors of three other portfolio companies: Fairmont Raffles Holdings International Ltd., Current Media, L.L.C., and Myer Pty Ltd. in Australia. With deep pockets, he became a major figure in Democratic politics, counting Jimmy Carter as a jogging partner and Mr. Biden as one of many beneficiaries of his largess. Leave a sympathy message to the family on . Blum was on the boards of directors of several companies, including CB Richard Ellis, where until May 2009 he served as the chairman of that board. In this life, he said, all Im trying to do is return to my pasture.. Members of her own Democratic caucus had been grumbling that her mental acuity had diminished and that she had become too accommodating to Republicans. In a statement, Gov. Richard Blum dies: Husband of Dianne Feinstein, S.F. We will remember him forever. Add a Memory. He was born July 17, 1939 in Cleburne, Texas to Thomas Jefferson and Irabell (Hernandez) Pruitt. His enormous generosity is an inspiration for so many of us.. On Monday, President Biden described Blum as a successful businessman and proud son of California who dedicated much of his public life to fighting poverty around the globe.. Richard will be remembered for his patriotism. Richard C. Blum was an undergraduate at UC Berkeley in the 1950s when he decided to hitchhike through Europe and Northern Africa as an exchange student the summer before his senior year. He was the type of man who really replaced his divot in life, who left things better than he found them. Building a successful career in business, he constantly gave back to our city: whether as a patron of our arts, a donor to our food banks or a benefactor to our efforts to end homelessness., Sen. Alex Padilla said that Blum was a compassionate humanitarian who dedicated his life to improving the world for others., Above all, Dick was devoted to his family, Padilla continued. He was a self-made millionaire, investor, money manager, mountain climber, distance runner, philanthropist, human-rights activist and friend of the famous, the profile said. Richard Blum, center, joined his wife, Senator Dianne Feinstein, as she was sworn in to another term in the Senate by Vice President Mike Pence on Jan. 3, 2019. the establishment of the American Himalayan Foundation. Ms. Feinstein is now the fifth-longest-serving United States senator, and if she stays in office for just under a year longer she will surpass Barbara A. Mikulski as the longest-tenured female senator in American history. Mr. Blum, who also was the father of Jane Blum DeMarchi, president of the North American Millers' Association, was 90. Everest, befriended the Dalai Lama and married then-San Francisco Mayor Dianne Feinstein, he bought and sold the circus literally. Blum was born in San Francisco and received a bachelors degree in business administration and a master of business administration from UC Berkeley. In an interview with this news organization, Blum dismissed the episode as much ado about nothing.. "My heart is broken today. Food has always been a go-to for people in mourning. 1960s-1970s. Blums parents had met in 1933. San Francisco financier Richard Charles Blum, whose extraordinary life took him from the halls of power in Washington as the husband of U.S. Sen. Dianne Feinstein to the mountains of Nepal and. Former President Donald Trump is congratulating his former adviser Kellyanne Conway after reports that she and her husba. Obituary for Clinton Cardell Pruitt. Just five years had passed since the period Feinstein had called the most traumatic of my life. She was president of the San Francisco Board of Supervisors in 1978 when she lost her husband of 16 years, neurosurgeon Bertram Feinstein, to cancer. Richard C. Blum, a longtime Bay Area businessman and husband of Sen. Dianne Feinstein, died at home Sunday night after a long battle with cancer. We have a hole in our hearts that will never be filled. To plant Memorial Trees in memory of Richard H. Blum, please click here to visit our Sympathy Store. If you know of an upcoming event for Richard H. Blum, please add one. Washington correspondent Tal Kopan contributed to this report. With the Dalai Lama among his influential friends, Mr. Blum developed an interest in South Asia as the home of Buddhist philosophy, as a recipient of philanthropy and as a place for adventure: He once led an expedition up part of Mount Everest. She and Blum married in 1980. In lieu of flowers memorials may be directed to Alzheimer's Association. Email: [email protected] Twitter: @NanetteAsimov. Monday, 28 February 2022 11:14 AM EST. Blum and the Dalai Lama met in Dharamshala in 1972 and became fast friends, snapping photos of themselves and joking about their past lives. Called by the nickname "Blos" by many of his. The marriage was Feinstein's third. How close we are to bringing lights back. The cause was cancer, according to a statement by Ms. Feinsteins office. Dick Blum shares my belief that we all need to make a lifelong commitment to poverty alleviation, Clinton said at the time. EAST HERKIMER - Richard H. Blum "Sonny" age 86, passed away peacefully on Friday, January 13, 2023, at his home. [29], Blum was diagnosed with lung cancer in 2016. Blum was remembered most on Monday for his generosity of spirit and deep devotion to family, including his three daughters from his first marriage Annette, Heidi and Eileen his stepdaughter, Katherine, and many grandchildren. Blum, the husband of Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., has died after a long battle with cancer. Not yet having made his fortune, he began giving families small amounts of money through what he called the Sherpa Scholarship Fund. He contributed $15 million toward the establishment of center, which addresses extreme poverty and disease in the developing world. In lieu of flowers, friends who wish may contribute to MoCa Cleveland (mocacleveland.org) or the charity of their choice. Receive obituaries from the city or cities of your choice. Richard Blum, husband of Sen. Dianne Feinstein, a longtime University of California regent and a stalwart of Democratic politics in California, died Sunday of cancer at his home in San Francisco. I am going to miss him terribly.. He was born on September 20, 1936, a son of the late Herman A. and Catherine (Gibson) Blum. BLUM--Richard J., (1931-2022), a lifelong resident of Cleveland, died of complications of Parkinson's on January 22, 2022. But he accompanied climbers across a glacier to the never-tackled Tibetan side. Family and friends can send flowers and condolences in memory of the loved one. I had the unique pleasure of watching Joe and Dianne tackle the toughest issues in the Senate, and we know Joes integrity and leadership will be a beacon to lead us forward and restore the soul of our nation, he wrote in an email invitation to a virtual fundraiser for Biden in October 2020. Richard Blum, the longtime husband of Sen. Dianne Feinstein, died Sunday evening following a battle with cancer, the senator announced Monday. R ichard Blum was the kind of financier who not only enjoyed accumulating his fortune but seemed to take even greater pleasure in putting it to good use. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi called Blum a powerful force for good in San Francisco, the city she represents, whether as a patron of our arts, a donor to our food banks or a benefactor to our efforts to end homelessness., Gov. Feinstein announced her husband's death in a statement Monday morning that said . He was 86. In 2020, Blum was revealed to have written to the universitys chancellor to push for the admission of an applicant who had been waitlisted and had an approximately 1 in 4 chance of getting in. Columbo style and a passion for distance running and Tibetan treks. Dick, we love you, well miss you and well continue to celebrate everything you accomplished during an amazing life, she said.

360 Raintree Lane Wellington, Florida 33414, Us, Articles R