Categories
king hugo and queen agnes of sweden

tommy armour silver scot forged irons

It was, in every way, the perfect product with a perfect message targeted at the perfect audience at the perfect point in time. But that seems to be the biggest issue right now, it is considered a house brand. CPMs difference . The course is packed pretty solid this time of the year. My favourite part of the trip was non golf related. Its called the Bad Decision Playbook for a reason. . That why I bought a set for my collection. There is a book out there by Jim Kaplan that lists the MacGregor catalogs and history from 1930s thru 1970s. Nothing worse than a neck crack, I fought one of those in my favorite driver for years. I bought my 845c on ebay for $130 brand new and the musclebacks used for $63.00. On sole: TOMMY ARMOUR. Complete Set Vintage Tommy Armour .845s Silver Scot Mens Golf Clubs Irons Woods. The mindset, apparently, was if it aint broke, lets not spend money we dont have to fix it. 380 yard par four. Just be real careful with old woods and newer balls. The Tommy Armour 845s irons were introduced to the sales force at a meeting at the American Resort in Wisconsin in August of 1987. He had success with them. Tommy Armour Forged Silver Scot Blades?? #163961. I did play in one Varsity match against Duke University and my famous acknowledgement was when the Varsity Coach, Howell T. Hollis, told me I was academically ineligible for the 1965 season. Not gaming them anymore but they are down in my basement. I had two six irons in my set and no three iron, the service rep took care of it right away and shipped out the three iron the next day (it was after 5:00 when I called). Tommy Armour 855s Golden Scot Men's Graphite Sr Flex Iron Set 4-SW 394471874309. That's rightyou get a brand new, still-in-the-plastic club to try for two weeks for just $25. Also the customer service from proshopwarehouse.com is great. 2i > PW iron set: 1950-54 MacGregor Tourney - REC. Titleist SM6 50 F Grind I got mine on ebay for $158 shipped from proshopwarehouse.com. TSI driver, 3W, and more, TSR4 Ventus Blue TR, Rogue ST LS Fairway Ventus Red, Get ventus black 7x performance with softer feel in your 3w. I preferred Celebration, but thats maybe because I holed a shit load of putts both times. They were a gift from my brother to replace an incomplete set of Ping Eye 2s I was playing. I'm the guy that said they may not be forged. I think Tommy Armour and Dicks hit on something with the TA1 lineup a couple years ago. At 56 years old, the Ford Mustang is still as cool as ever. M85 forged w/ T. T. Tourney regular flex shafts. The 845s stayed current in Tommy Armours catalog for seven years an inconceivable run considering todays one- to two-year product cycles. FOR SALE! Its a lesson in how tremendous success often sows the seeds of failure. Great article. Tommy Armour Zaap . My first set of cavity back clubs replacing Hogan Apex II. RussUK, November 17, 2016 I just hope that TA and Dicks get the 845s right and more inline with the look and feel of the major OEMs. 845 FS. I bought the TA-1 Irons and Driver, the irons feel so powerful you can feel the ball jump off the face. Would like to see more of these. $20.00 shipping. Learn how your comment data is processed. $49.99 + $13.62 shipping. So we incorporated the cavity back on the long and mid-irons and, at the 8-iron, we segued into the traditional profile youd see in a Wilson Staff or a MacGregor.. Upper heel area of cavity: PAT. as you will not be disappointed in this set. Copyright 2023. Cobra happily filled that void. $69.99. So far, despite ultra critical reviews by some as regards the current Tommy Armour Line coming out of Dicks, I have been impressed. Did you read it or just skim over it? My first set of clubs ever was the 845s when i was 12 years old. 7.7k. Also, I have seen a set of Nicklaus's with rifle flighted's. We need to hear those stories. MyGolfSpy, Inc. All Rights Reserved. I thought they looked good, and I played the irons a couple of years. Read John The sale left the new ownership somewhat leveraged and U.S. Industries had Tommy Armour on its shortlist of assets to sell off to help recoup some of its new debt. Sports Authority was no golf authority, however. Everything was just a bit more pristine. Magerman was an avid tennis player and oversized tennis rackets were all the craze (as was the King Cobra), hence the 855 irons and Magermans pet project, the full titanium Ti-100 irons. I wish Nickent hadnt bitten the dust that would be another great business story fro MYGOLFSPY. Well Done, John. I think MGS missed the boat on their review of this club. Thats what makes them icons. Great iron, i have never played better. At nearing 77, a severe stroke, two knee replacements and hit by an automobile while waking, I am blessed to still be able to afford and play the greatest game on earth seven days a week here in Sarasota Florida at Palm Aire Country Club. All Major Brands. I happen to know more than I should about MacGregor forged irons of the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's. Probably late 50s Driver: Titleist 910 D-3; 9.5* Diamana Kai'li3-Wood: Titleist 910F; 15* Diamana Kai'liHybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'liIrons: Titleist 695cb 5-PwWedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; 56-14 F grind and60-11 K grindPutter: Scotty CameronKombi SBall: ProV1. 7 = OK Club. Feedback 99.6% (1,788) Tommy Armour Gap Wedge 54 RH. Free delivery and returns on eBay Plus items for Plus members. If you want new persimmon, Louisville Golf still makes them. 845 FORGED PERSIMMON. I bought mine on Ebay - paid 153$ - breat value for money. In the 1980s, Armour designed the Silver Scot 645 which is among the couple of non forged heads that should be in the Smithsonian. I acquired a set of Macgregor M75 Tourney irons and MT Tourney woods that have LTWA stamped on the bottoms. The sports retailer snapped up Huffys assets within days of the Chapter 11 filing. . The Pipe Putter was a winnerquite literally. Clubs that are played need the poly or varnish refreshed occasionally. . He was a brilliant club designer. Naming the 845 is another lesson in the way things used to be. My first full set of irons at age 9 were Armour Silver Scot circa around 1950. Talk about hitting a game-winning grand slam in your first at-bat. Dri-tac midsize grips than my my irons are even worth but it was totally worth it to me to make them even more playable after all these years! 1950s MacGregor Tommy Armour 5 iron stainless steel golf club silver Scot good condition. Left Handed Tommy Armour Silverscot Forged Irons Set 3-PW - Forged Backs Set is in great shape, only played a few times with them but found set I originally wanted shortly after $175. It was a $50,000 purse and Mike Campbell was the winner.. After the sale of Tommy Armour to Odyssey and without added money to the purses, the number of players fell significantly. At that time The Tommy Armour Tour had over 2,000 paid Members. Tommy Armour Silver Scot 986 Tour RH Irons 2-9 Dynamic Gold S300 PGA Stiff Steel. I then decided to gain eligibility on the European Senior PGA Tour at their Open Championship qualifier. Great piece of history. Please put and questions or comments here, Please put any questions or comments here, Please put any questions of comments here, Tommy Armour Silver Scot Cavity Back Forged. Lol. PEND. A story about how Tommy Armour went bankrupt? 845 SILVER SCOT (GREY FINISH) 845 SILVER SCOT (HTS) 845 TA-24. 2 through Wedge for $20 bucks after trading in the "then very popular" 855's. . I've also got a 'not so nice' set of Mac keyhole woods that I picked up cheap so maybe I will just hit those to get my fix. Terry L. Fine Beautiful clubs still have full set on down to 1 iron. Obviously a lot of us. Plays his DCIs. I am interested in trying them out myself, but have not been able to physically put my hands on a set to see how they are. Complete Line (ca. Sign up for a new account in our community. Aren't you concerned you might bust up the woods hitting rocky range balls? Tommy Armour 855s Golden Scot Men's Graphite Sr Flex Iron Set 4-SW 394471874309. Owned a set of 845s. Bought the whole set (3i-pw) for my younger brother as a starter set, but took em out just for fun and fell in love! They look and feel like long irons should, with a straight leading edge, strong top line, generous offset, and a solid feel.. I told the owner what I had in mind for an iron, Hoeflich said, and that was to duplicate the technology behind the PING Eye2 in terms of locating the center of gravity in the same place in each iron, which was kind of a revolutionary concept at the time.. SN# M2217. Being that I have not see these in person would you consider the head size: A. As I pitched The Tommy Armour Tour to Mike and his executives I could feel the room turning into ICE! 1960), 2023 - WorthPoint Corporation | 5 Concourse Parkway NE, Suite 2900. moreso than the mx-23? That came from the back end of my buddys car, a Porsche 928, says Hoeflich. That thing had power and feel like nobodies business. Tommy Armour. Model Reviewed: Tommy Armour 855. Putter. Sold by @Gear4Good. Mike. His next iron design the Titleist DCI Gold was another home run and, not coincidentally, had the same basic offset and profile as the 845. I don't hit em that much, just a few times to get that nice low rising trajectory that todays clubs can't provide. Many of the Macs from the 60's and early 70's are less than $100, and the remakes from the late 70's and 80's are often less than $50 unless absolutely mint. It is the only iron I use. You gotta lotta time on your hands, my man. I had this idea that the one day events on the Golden State Tour were the most profitable and Central Florida had none.. I watched the Korn Ferry Qual at my local course the other day and some of the best players I have ever seen wont make a dime as pros. Post your items for free Local pickup Buy Cheap or Sell Second Hand Iron sets easily with Yomla. Year 2020; Brand . with T. T. Tourney shafts. I would call them mid-size. Slightly longer than standard player's blades. AKA as beating me. . Our largest event over the 10 year run was the St. Louis Open. About eBay; Announcements; Community; Security Center; Seller Center . Irons are solid and give as good a feel as my Titleist 695MB or Nike VR Pro Combo's. Can you tell from my avatar? Very forgiving for a blade, too. Tommy Armour Mens 845s Silver Scot Irons 3-PW Stiff Steel Set. Tommy Armour 6 Pc Golf set in right Handed. i bought them at a yard sale for $20 that i saved for 3 weeks. iacas, December 31, 2017 Subsequently, PGA-PGA TOUR Properties wanted out of the equipment deal with PGA Golf and spent the better part of the next three years trying to get its name back from Morton Grove. Tommy Armour 845S Silver Scot Single 4 Iron Tour Step Stiff Steel Mens RH 38.5" . this is one of the best hybrids ive ever hit and ive hit a bunch. Im not hating on anyone, its brilliant marketing. They came from New Zealand (Michael Campbell) Japan and England. Get the best deals on Tommy Armour Vintage Golf Clubs & Shafts. Titleist SM6 54 S Grind FYI my son uses DCIs so I guess we are playing sisters of of sorts given their design heritage. I was an English teacher and I had a friend who helped me get a job as a sales rep for MaxFli golf balls, Hoeflich told MyGolfSpy. After two weeks of shooting under par and not even one paycheck, I resorted to working at a driving range in Winter haven Florida. I played the MacGregor MT (1972) "flatsole" irons from 1974 to 1994. 855 HOT SCOT. Brand Tommy Armour; Head Weight 258 "C" Dimension 1. . Ad posted 2 days ago Save this ad . Whats worth considering, however, is the fact an iconic, industry-changing and truly classic iron such as the Tommy Armour 845s could not possibly be made today. Arnie I still regularly game two Nickent Pipe putters, one at home from April through end of season and another here in New Zealand from mid-January through end of March (southern hemi summer). I wonder how much Dicks paid MGS to write this story? One copper faced Colokroms and one set of Rec. Great article! I also carry PING Gorge Tour Wedges 58 through 47 degrees, and Callaway FT-iz hybrids 30 through 21 degrees, and a PING I-25 Driver in 9.5 degrees. You can guess what happened. MacGregor Park in Dayton built to allow golf club tryouts in 1920s, Hidden golf course once home to golf club manufacturing giant, LIV Golf Tour (was "Alternative" Tours, Phil Cancelled), "Playing From a Position" la Jim Venetos. Arnold Palmer Invitational 2023 (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS/REFERENCES ***), Do you like to experiment? One of the reasons the 845 was so successful is we had a really experienced sales team that loved selling clubs, said Hoeflich. MacGregor introduced the Tommy Armour Silver Scot Tourney in the 1940s, predating the Tommy Armour company by nearly40 years. We found +57,254 Used and New deals on Iron sets in Harrisburg, PA! Gamed them until I discovered my Mizuno MP-32s. Clear editor. Icons just wont go away. or 4 . The Clubs. I happen to know more than I should about MacGregor forged irons of the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's. I flew up to Morton Grove and met with Mike. There were a lot of people involved in the success of that club but Im really excited to see what Dicks does with it.. Well, glad you enjoyed it. Love the article. The No. FOR SALE! Modern Irons Comparable to Tommy Armour 855s? A few months ago, I bought one of their 48 degree CB wedges to fill a gap in my short game. If youve been paying even a little attention, it doesnt take high-level editorial or business-specific insight to say the golf industry has changed over the past 30 years. Once again, John Barba and My Golf Spy, providing the best most in-depth golf writing you will find anywhere! Titleist SM6 58 S Grind Upper toe area of cavity: CAVITY BALANCED. Next Hooters restaurants, Mike McNeil agreed to add $50.00 per week to the purse provided we change the name to the Hooters Tour. Yeah, I looked at the schedule when it first came out, I noticed OCN was on the list. tommy armour silver scot hybrid. And old clubs could be really brittle by now, esp in the necks. Probably just me. Hoeflich is one of my golf heres as I used to bang the drum for Nickent Golf years ago when they were a true up and comer. When Tommy Armour released the 855 Silver Scots in 1995 to counter the new and incredibly popular King Cobra irons, they were more than a little late to the party. Rare 1963 Macgregor Tommy Armour Silver Scot A2 Iron Set Rh, 2-11, New Grips. Shipping Available. Cast from 431 stainless steel with a thin L-shape face insert (to assist shots struck low), steel weighting with tungsten . They are just awesome and still totally playable irons. $52.99 shipping. Before we developed the tooling, I went to a club in Chicago Sunset Ridge, he said. $29.99. Classic irons. or Best Offer. Sadly it also embraces the ptifalls of overnight success, there is never a first time homerun. Shot some of my best scores with these until they were stolen. Hello. Feedback. August 13, 2014 in Clubs, Grips, Shafts, Fitting. I remember the discussion with John very well and was a proud staff member with Tommy Armour all of my years at Sunset Ridge in the 80s and 90s. I don't have a reference for you, been looking for one for years myself, just had to comment on those clubs. (Explained),Tommy Armour Royal Scot Complete Package (GRH),Tommy Armour Royal Scot Irons - R flex steel - 3 thru PW,GW,SW - . He loves telling stories, writing about golf and golf travel, and enjoys classic golf equipment. They are a Royal Armour full set with black and yellow Royal Armour pads on the irons, and shafts say Armour Lite Mid Flex True Temper Made in USA. Maltby brought back the original mass properties of Hoeflichs design and developed an entirely new line of 845 irons. I figured if I didn't like these irons I would at least get my money back on the shafts alone, since I was going to build a set from golfsmith before I found these. Great read. I picked up a new LH 3-PW 6.0 Rifle set of the 2006 TA Silver Scot MB's on e-bay for $152.50 from pro shop warehouse, and I also got a set of the LH heads only 3-6, 8 at their website (www.proshopwarehouse.com) for $40 to do some shaft experimenting with. We found CPM variations as wide as 10-12., Nickents USTs 85 MPH Rated Shafts were more like 2-4. Newer ones didnt seem the same so ended up with Titleist DCI. . Let's first get some things out of the way these irons aren't going to go and compete with a Mizuno or Miura forging. Be sure to ask if the seller is a authorized TA dealer if you are buying off ebay. NOW AVAILABLE: GolfWRX G/Fore Hats and Holderness & Bourne Polos! Same Modelsame Stated Regular FLex. Tommy Armour Royal Scot Under Cut Irons 5-SW Golf Clubs. I should have known something wasnt right. Single Irons; Putters; Wedges; Fairway Woods/Hybrids; Drivers; Golf Bags; Wanted Tommy Armour Golf Clubs & Equipment Tommy Armour Drivers 845 Forged Persimmon 845 FS Silver Scot 845s HTS Steel 845s Ti Face Ayrtime EVO 300cc EVO 300cc Plus EVO 420cc Hot Scot Hot Scot 855s Ti 100 Tommy Gun Ti . Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! Great clubs. By 1977, Victor Comptometer was purchased by Kidde, Inc., a New Jersey-based maker of everything from Jacuzzi bathtubs and Farberware housewares to lighting fixtures, fire protection equipment, and hydraulic cranes. Grew up seeing a lot of people playing with this set and I kinda knew that they were an iconic set in the history of golf like the Ping Eyes. Tommy Armour Women's 2021 845-MAX Hybrid/Irons. Convenient. Hoeflich was long gone from Tommy Armour by then. I had them for several years and also believe many manufactures copied the tech in these clubs. The 845s isnt terribly game improvement by todays standards, but in 1987 it was top-shelf tech. The driver in my sig is persimmon; the fairways are laminated maple. AT1 Golf Clubs Steel Tour Blades set irons 3-PW - $98.02. Sluckers magic touch was failing him so he turned to the golf industrys time-tested Bad Decision Playbook. I am looking forward to seeing what Dicks does with the new and improved 845s Silver Scots.will they pay homage to their history while embracing newer technology. TORCH. Where can i get these? How are they? Vibratory finish. Stiff shafts. I have a set and heard they were made by MacGregor also. Tommy Armour PGA Forged Blade Irons Set 3-9 Stiff Steel Shafts RH Nice. Mr. McNally told me if I would relinquish the name The Hooters Tour and rename it The Tommy Armour Tour, his Company would add $10,000 a year to the purse plus give all registered Tommy Armour Tour Players a tour staff bag at no cots and the 845s 1 iron through all four wedges for $190.00. And its success put Tommy Armour on a seven-year run like the golf industry had never seen. My personal history is that I picked up a set of early 845s 3i-PW (pat. After a lot of other putters have gone through my bag and ended up in the storage locker with the Nickent irons, the Pipe putter is still in my bag at home and in my bag here in New Zealand where we spend our winters (southern hemisphere summers). Golf Club at the best online prices at eBay! They really did have something going on. "The original forecast was 7,500 sets and I think we shipped over 30,000 in 1988", said John Hoeflich. As I recall from the old days I was told that hitting surlyn/solid balls with woods would destroy the inserts, or the faces if there was no insert. Tommy Armour Silver Scot Forged Iron Heads, 4-P, Excellent. I switched to custom fitted wood bothers forged cavity backs and a new Taylor made metal wood and went to a 5 handicap. Great article, on great irons. Still have my 845s. Enjoyable article.played 845s for a good 15 yrs and still have a set of graphite stiff in the garage I cant bring myself to sell. We had to develop a back design, so on the way home I took out some notepaper and scribbled out the little back pads for the irons.. Tommy Armour Atomic Irons R/H stiff 4-AW, 845 Driver 10.5 regular flex. What a fantastic story, I am happy to say I am still playing a set of the original TA 845s Silver Scotts. Minty TaylorMade Sim2 Max-D 9.0* Driver Head Only Sim 2 MaxD 9.0* Driver Head. The club itself was a labor of love for a lot of reasons and Im proud to say I took part in the development and launch of that product Ive always had a soft spot in my heart for it. . Where to start? TOMMY ARMOUR 845 V25 Forged Blade RH Stiff Flex Steel Check Details. That resonated with me, said Hoeflich. I polish them. From throwback jerseys to classic golf saddle shoes and a stick shift, the days of . Or maybe you just got an unlucky set. Tommy Armour management either wouldnt or couldnt pull the trigger on another $10,000 for new tooling. I don't hit range rocks or Pinnacles with mine, but have hit the Bridgestone B330 RXS (supposedly designed for slower swing speeds). MACGREGOR TOMMY ARMOUR V.F.Q. very well written. Its a damn shame Nickent bet the farm on the adjustable driver with a $500 price tage right before the great recession hit. I will ship to the lower 48 states and accept Pay Pal only. Was: AU $621.82. Loved these clubs as my first real players clubs (as opposed to some unknown Northwestern or Sportmart Mizuno set). Otherwise - pull the shafts - would still be value for money. I saw Jim Gallagher use this model at the Belfry Ryder Cup Year 2006 ; Brand Tommy Armour; Head Weight . 845 FORGED (2) Show More. The very first Tommy Armour irons werent made by Tommy Armour at all, but by MacGregor, and for a very good reason: there was no Tommy Armour company at the time. 150 ono. ADD TO CART. Not sure, but I couldn't find a threadaddressing vintage (40s,50s,60s,70s) Macgregor clubs. Probably the cheapest way to get into forged player's blades. In the 1990s, I remember thinking, Two companies shots at the same golfer.. My late father played MacGregor Tommy Armour Silver Scot Tourney irons (he was a 4 to 7 handicap golfer, even into his 60s, before he died). haga de sta publicacin su favorita feb 14 Single Irons; Shafts; Grips; Bags & Carts; Balls; Headcovers; On-Course. I gave my TAs to my oldest son and he still games them today. He said about 50. August 1987 was eventful for Tommy Armour, as British conglomerate Hanson Trust bought Kidde, Inc., lock, stock, and barrel for $1.6 billion. The best part is when a golf pro at a course happens to look in my bag they go bananas and are super impressed that I am still putting them through their paces. We continued to run the Tour, but when I got a call from Rudy Zucker threatening to sue us If we continued using the Tommy Armour Tour name. Hope the rest of the Christmas shopping went well . (Celebration was completely full both days) These clubs have been well kept and are in great condition. My father-in-law loaned me his set of Ping Eye 2 irons to start, but after a year or 2 he missed them so I went shopping. I gamed them up until this past fall when I opted to get a set of newer GI irons. FOR SALE! For a while the Eye2 irons were off limits to players and some tour players switched to the 845 with Mark Calcavecchia being the most notable. I havent played with them in a bit they were great clubs got me hooked on golf. Celebration was in fantastic condition, the greens were smoother and faster than FF( about a 10.5 ) and they sped up more as the sun sparked up. I captained the freshman team, but was never able to break into the starting line up my sophomore year. Who cares about a club that absolutely no one plays anymore? single, replacement or add-on golf irons and wedges for TommyArmour 845s SILVER SCOT Irons. Still look great! We still love the Beatles and, even though Elvis has been dead for more than 40 years, hes still Elvis. You can see the 845 influence all over Nickents cavity backs, and they used tungsten heel and toe weight pads well ahead of the rest of the industry.

What Is My Teaching Philosophy Quiz, Articles T

tommy armour silver scot forged irons