Categories
king hugo and queen agnes of sweden

tony mckegney family

Saunders was the third highest-scorer at training camp. Most historical data provided by Dan Diamond and Associates. But I think sports probably helped a lot, because we were known as athletes and so forth. If no results appear, use Enter to do a full site search. As a teenager, he played for Jr. 'B' hockey in Sarnia. The SPORTS REFERENCE and STATHEAD trademarks are owned exclusively by Sports Reference LLC. Instead, he was drafted 32nd-overall by the Buffalo Sabres in 1978 and went on to score over 320 goals. We only use official stats. Bernie Saunders played 10 games for the Quebec Nordiques, but he and others say his career would have been longer if he wasnt black. The hockey portion and the support from teammates and my parents and other hockey parents all the way along got me through it. One referee, trying to break up the scuffle, grabbed Jonathan from behind. By checking this box, I agree to the terms of service and privacy policy of Rogers Media. Comments are welcome while open. Tony was born on February 15, 1958 in Montreal, Quebec.. Tony is one of the famous and trending celeb who is popular for being a Ice Hockey. Sorry we could not verify that email address. Enter Search Term. McKegney was born in Montreal, but was adopted by a white family in Sarnia, Ont. - Verification Badge on your profile, Post a scouting report/trivia/player comment in English (visible here). We present them here for purely educational purposes. People weren't used to seeing a Black player succeed on the ice. He is also aware of his role-model responsibilities as one of only five blacks currently playing in the league. Every Sports Reference Social Media Account, Site Last Updated: Saturday, March 4, 4:33AM. Sabres Send Asplund to Nashville for 7th Rounder, 2023 NHL Trade Deadline: Open Thread & How To Watch. Complete player biography and stats. A centre, he said the way they clicked on the ice was as though they'd been playing together forever. He stayed through 1983 and was a regular almost all of the time. McKegney was arrested June 23 and pleaded not guilty to two counts of first-degree criminal contempt on July 8, according to court records. Tony McKegney (front, second from r.) and his Sarnia Bees teammates of the Western Ontario Junior B Hockey League in 1973. Odds & lines subject to change. The Buffalo native was drafted by the Sabres 52nd overall in 2013 and began his pro career with the Sabres and Amerks. {{start_at_rate}} {{format_dollars}} {{start_price}} {{format_cents}} {{term}}, {{promotional_format_dollars}}{{promotional_price}}{{promotional_format_cents}} {{term}}, City mourns Buffalo firefighter Jason Arno as investigation into fatal fire launches, Buffalo firefighter makes 'ultimate sacrifice' in blaze that may have sparked backdraft, Paula's Donuts to move Clarence store that faced backlash for tax breaks to Amherst, Vandal damages 'brokenhearted' Russell Salvatore's tribute park in Lancaster, Chad Hall's departure from Buffalo Bills to Jaguars remains a bit of a mystery. They were playing Ottawa and there were five black players in the game on the two teams combined. But Jarrett believes Saunders deserved to be there. Tony McKegney is a member of famous Ice Hockey list. Grow your brand authentically by sharing brand content with the internets creators. Don't miss out - sign up for our newsletters! All logos are the trademark & property of their owners and not Sports Reference LLC. A year later, the left winger was ready to join the pros. That was my first exposure, to have a hockey rink in my backyard. Position: LW Shoots: Left. Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device. I remember the dedication that my parents put into it when we were younger, driving us to rinks at 7 in the morning, he said. All Rights Reserved. It was a simple chip-in that just dribbled through the goalie's pads. "We were so influenced by Hockey Night in Canada," he said, of himself and John. Enter Search Term. The McKegney brothers (l-r), Mike, Tony, Ian and friends on their backyard rink in Sarnia, Ontario in 1962. 1989-1990 Regular Season Fight Card NHL (1) 1987-1988 Regular Season Fight Card NHL (4) 1986-1987 Regular Season Fight Card NHL (1) 1985-1986 Postseason Fight Card NHL (2) 1983-1984 Regular Season Fight Card NHL (1) The year after he graduated, he had offers from a few teams. Statistics of Tony McKegney, a hockey player from Montreal, PQ born Feb 15 1958 who was active from 1973 to 1993. And my teammates treated me like I was not any different than anybody. Use without license or authorization is expressly prohibited. He played four games with the Nordiques at the end of the 1979-80 season, the team's first season in the NHL. Other blacks are forward Dirk Graham of the Minnesota North Stars, goaltender Eldon Pokey Reddick and forward Paul Neufeld of the Winnipeg Jets. Find out more. It barely made it over the line. "I could not imagine [why] this guy wasn't given a better opportunity," Bassin said. He believes his call up was a reward for his performance in the minors. Saunders was a shy, quiet kid with a remarkable work ethic, Bassin recalls. In Tony's second stint in Quebec, he played in 98 games for the team until January 29, 1991 when he was traded to the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for Jacques Cloutier. Boards and the whole thing. "The theme for the next few days is clear: Hey Kevyn, the lonely eyes of Sabres fans are turned to you,"Mike Harrington writes. Become a Stathead & surf this site ad-free. I just pushed the stereotypes to the background and kept hockey in the forefront. Jets on Sportsnet, Marchment, Pavelski end droughts as Stars dominate Avalanche, Cooper on benching Stamkos, Kucherov, Point: 'Weren't giving us the best chance to win', Bertuzzi sets up goal, Bruins stretch winning-streak in win over Rangers, Lightning fall to Sabres, bench Kucherov, Stamkos, Point for third period, {* backButton *} Tony McKegney has never won a Stanley Cup as a player. The Buffalo Sabres recently unveiled a partnership with local artist Edreys Wajed in honor of Black History Month. Tony McKegney. I always loved the game, but I didn't see myself reflected in it. Saunders doesn't want to come off as someone lamenting what could have been. Clearly, Jarome recognized that the 'typical' hockey player could be anyone who loves the game and plays it well. Watch our How-To Videos to Become a Stathead, Subscribe to Stathead and get access to more data than you can imagine. He paved the way for me. He is not dating anyone. This Birthday in Buffalo Sports History: Tony McKegney. of 1 But while Saunders was playing the role of helping others, he believes the Habs didn't really have any incentive to help him, since the team had its own players to develop. Browse 82 tony mckegney stock photos and images available, or start a new search to explore more stock photos and images. Throughout 15 years of professional hockey, I'm lucky enough to say that there are many moments I'm proud of. Will the Sabres make some moves today to improve their post-season chances? So what does Sabres GM Kevyn Adams do this week? However, the Bills' statement does not specify that Frazi. There is one number, though, that says a lot about the season I had in 1987-88. Two years ago, when he scored 15 times and had 25 assists, was the only season he scored fewer than 23 goals or compiled fewer than 45 points. All Rights Reserved. (approx 1 - 2 per week). If I could be half the man my father was, Id be doing pretty well, he said. Two years ago, when he scored 15 times and had 25 assists, was the only season he scored fewer than 23 goals or compiled fewer than 45 points. SN: What were the conversations like with your parents about it? He has three 30-goal seasons. McKegney vividly recalls the support from his parents - Lowry McKegney, a retired chemist, and Cathy McKegney. Jarrett won the scoring title and says he couldn't have done it without Saunders at his side. Saunders was part of a wave of black players who debuted after Willie O'Ree became the first black player in the National Hockey League in 1958. BIOGRAPHY. NHL.com is the official web site of the National Hockey League. My mindset was focused on maintaining a consistent level of play to succeed in the National Hockey League. Did that ever dissuade you at all from getting into the game? Tony was drafted 32nd overall by the Buffalo Sabres in the 1978 NHL Amateur Draft. Why did you feel like that was necessary? A couple of weeks ago, Ron MacLean from Hockey Night in Canada gave the McKegney family a shout out during the Saturday night broadcast, recognizing McKegney as part of Black History month. That year, he also played against a team from Birmingham, Ala. His first game there, team executives told him he might be shot, so he went into the arena with extra protection. There was nothing special about the goal. McKegney has remained in the NHL largely because of his skating skills, his durability and the steadiness he mentioned. After completing the 1990-91 season with the Chicago Blackhawks, Tony would spend a season in Italy with HC Varese as well as three games with the Canadian National Team. It takes time to grow a sport, he says, and now young black kids have something he didn't: the opportunity to play the game they love with people who look like them, and to see more than one black person playing it at the highest level. Buy his book. In February 1988, I was interviewed for an article called "Tony McKegney Makes His Mark in the NHL," where I talked about how the season was going and importance of role models. McKegney was drafted 32nd overall by the Buffalo Sabres in the 1978 NHL Amateur Draft. But sometimes it comes back to haunt you. Hockey-Reference utilizes Official NHL data for current NHL seasons. He continued to score despite playing no more than three seasons with the same team for the rest of his career. And I just thought to myself, What are they doing out there? And I couldnt wait to go out there and join them at a year-and-a-half. McKegney was born in Montreal, but was adopted soon thereafter, and raised by a white family in Sarnia, Ontario. Do you have a blog? Audience Relations, CBC P.O. My dad felt he could do something for the amount of kids that were homeless or without parents per se.. Tony McKegney (born Anthony Syiid McKegney on February 15, 1958) is a retired Canadian professional ice hockey player, who played in the NHL for 13 seasons from 1978-79 until 1990-91. SN: How did it make you feel when you saw it? "Everything Bernie Saunders has, he earned, in spite of [whether] there's been prejudice along the way.". Pioneers like Willie O'Ree, Angela James and Grant Fuhr will be featured. But he was reassigned to the minors. There were three future Hall of Famers who made us all better. Streamline your workflow with our best-in-class digital asset management system. The more hockey lives up to those ideals, the better we'll all be. Most recently in the IHL with San Diego Gulls. Dating & Relationship status He is currently single. So, there was a lot of black athletes in town in Buffalo. The things he went through were things I experienced in my time. His best season came with the St. Louis Blues in 1987-88, when he had NHL career highs of 40 goals and 78 points. Tony McKegney had 320 goals over his career. He heard the N-word on the ice and from fans in the stands, and opponents always made sure to finish their checks on him. Sign up for EP Premium and verify your profile to access these benefits. It was like, all the emotions from my career, my life: it was too much for me," the elder Saunders said. SN: Given what you went through in your career, does it make it tougher to hear stories of the abuse faced by players who came after you? Please note that CBC does not endorse the opinions expressed in comments. We reserve the right to close comments at any time. Tony McKegney spoke about his experience being one of the few black players in the NHL and how the league has progressed since his playing days. I dont have any theory why Tony has played with so many teams. Height, Weight & Physical Stats: Tony McKegney is 6 feet 1 inches tall and weight 90.7 kilograms. He was following in the footsteps of his older brother Ian, who had been a star with the Sarnia Legionnaires before moving on to the pros. 20 Sabres Tony Mckegney Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images All News Archival Browse 20 sabres tony mckegney stock photos and images available, or start a new search to explore more stock photos and images. And my brother was four years older than me and and took a lot more abuse than I did. Youre a great player. We have tools and resources that can help you use sports data. He was also able to open doors and create a level of acceptance for young black players who could point to him and his contemporaries as successes. SPORTSNET: What was your first exposure to the game of hockey? He was told teams were interested in trading for him, but the Nordiques didn't let him go. Born 1958-02-15 in Montral, Quebec. When he was still a toddler, his family moved to the Toronto area. {* traditionalSignIn_signInButton *}, Comment and participate in our online community. I was too timid to talk to a girl. Data Provided By Customize your lineup with your favourite leagues and teams. Sign up for our newsletter to keep reading. Coming into the next season, he thought he was a shoo-in to make the team. Lightning. All NHL team jerseys customized with NHL players' names and numbers are officially licensed by the NHL and the NHLPA. Halls contract with the Bills had expired, although left unanswered is whether the team made an effort to retain him or Hall simply was rea. You get to keep that mask on and Im out there for everybody to see. So, I told Grant, jokingly, that I was envious of him. Logos were compiled by the amazing SportsLogos.net. McKegney was selected 32nd overall in 1978 after scoring 92 points with the Kingston Canadians. Tony McKegney, former NHLer and ambassador for, Hockey is for Everyone, congratulates a participant during the clinic sponsored by the NHL and the. In retrospect, I can now see how it was an important milestone for people who look like me: No Black player had ever scored 40 goals in a season not until that game against Winnipeg, where a little chip-in ended up making history. They were there for me for the most part. It brought back some ghosts and nightmares, memories for me, which I hadnt thought about in a while. He was following in the footsteps of his older brother Ian, who had been a star with the Sarnia Legionnaires before moving on to the pros. TM: I heard some stories about the tough guys like George Laraque, Peter Worrell and Donald Brashear, and apparently it was absolutely brutal for those guys in Quebec. When he left, he was the all-time leading scorer. NHL.com is the official web site of the National Hockey League. That is a great start and I am looking forward to rooting for the Black players drafted in the past few years who are going to carry on this legacy. It was never published. Contents 1 Playing Career 2 Post-Playing Career 3 Career Statistics 4 Accolades 5 Personal Life Playing Career It is a priority for CBC to create products that are accessible to all in Canada including people with visual, hearing, motor and cognitive challenges. At age 5, I started playing organized hockey. If you are experiencing difficulties logging in or are a subscriber getting a paywall, please try one or more of the following steps. Years later, I found out I was one of the reasons why. He is 64 years old. 8 9 25 25 10 7 14 11. Become a Stathead & surf this site ad-free. Part of the reason McKegney wants to continue a while longer is because of sons Daniel, 2 1/2 , and Robert, 7 months. The next day, the other team's coach called to apologize for what had happened, which Saunders found promising a sign that things were changing, albeit slowly. "People just forget me because I didn't play. He got out of his contract, went back to Michigan and started playing for the Kalamazoo Wings, an International Hockey League team, while establishing himself at Upjohn, a pharmaceutical company. McKegney spent less than two years with the Nordiques, and had several more stops around the NHL during the next several seasons. Please contact us. One of his teammates even offered to rent his apartment to Saunders, thinking he would need one since he'd be there long term. There hadnt been many blacks in the NHL when he arrived, but hopefully his talent made quite a few people color-blind. There were a few other (skaters) that were sort of up and down.. One house seemed perfect for me and my wife, Sue. I wanted to be the best, that was a driving force. Dont forget to read the Q&A we did with several Black players who spent time with the Buffalo Sabres organization. McKegney was the first Black Canadian hockey player to make an impact in the NHL. But on the. SN: If you had a chance to talk to the young African-Canadian and African-American kids coming into the game, what would you tell them that you wish youd known? The judge ordered McKegney, while on probation, to complete all assessments, counselling and treatments directed by his probation supervisor to deal with issues arising from domestic. Pseudonyms will no longer be permitted. They started out with walker-type things out on the ice, and then they graduated to the point where they were scrimmaging, McKegney said. His first encounter with racism happened while he was playing junior hockey after his family moved to Ajax, Ont., during his senior year of high school. Reality doesn't always add up. He learned to fight, to defend himself, but mainly he tried to keep scoring. He appeared in 363 regular-season games with Buffalo, putting up 127 goals and adding 141 assists. Right before he went to college, Mike Marson and Bill Riley, the second and third black men in the NHL, made their debuts. I pride myself in being maybe the first black player to play consistently in the league, McKegney said. 2023 Getty Images. Millions of high-quality images, video, and music options are waiting for you. During my career, I know I tried my hardest not to think about them at all. Our reasoning for presenting offensive logos. Amateur Teams: Kingston Canadians. This is especially true for a sport like hockey, where community, respect, and teamwork have always been important values. Hes won Stanley Cups.. 'We've taken one step forward and two back': Willie O'Ree on fighting racism in sports, This rural Ontario black hockey line broke barriers producing generations of star players, Being Black in Canada: Highlighting the Black experience, CBC's Journalistic Standards and Practices. Any other third party trademarks or copyrights are the property of their respective owners. Editor's note: As part of the NHL celebrating Black History Month throughout February, NHL.com will present first-person essays by some of the game's key Black players and executives. "I believe if he wasn't a black individual he would have played [more] in the NHL. Brother: Ian McKegney And I know they weren't alone in their thoughts. Saunders, a right-winger, played 10 games for the Quebec Nordiques in 1979-80 and 1980-81. Please also read our Privacy Notice and Terms of Use, which became effective December 20, 2019. To learn more or opt-out, read our Cookie Policy. I didnt talk to many people about it. He was a 4x 30-goal scorer and set career highs in 1988 with 40 goals and 78 points. Jarome told me that he felt comfortable at the school yard because he could point to me and say, "Look, Tony McKegney's playing in the NHL.". McKegney was born in Montreal, but was adopted soon thereafter, and raised by a white family in Sarnia, Ontario. As of this date, Sue is single. The Zamboni word mark and configuration of the Zamboni ice resurfacing machine are registered trademarks of Frank J. Zamboni & Co., Inc. Frank J. Zamboni & Co., Inc. 2023. * Some data is missing to provide a correct summary. To see your localized preferences, please enable geolocation services in your browser settings. Tap into Getty Images' global scale, data-driven insights, and network of more than 340,000 creators to create content exclusively for your brand. The second person to achieve (and ultimately surpass) this milestone? "Tony McKegney showed me it was possible for someone like me to play in the NHL," future Hall of Famer Jarome Iginla said in author Cecil Harris' book, "Breaking The Ice, The Black Experience in Professional Hockey." "He set the example. The conversation about black players in hockey is often a binary one even during Black History Month. Tony McKegney (r.) with brothers Mike (l.) and Steve in front of their house in Sarnia, Ontario in 1970. When Saunderswas still a teenager, the family moved back to Quebec, to Chteauguay a town on Montreal's South Shore with a strong hockey tradition. Economics and demographics - there are far fewer blacks in his native Canada than in the United States - still keep blacks from following him to the pro ranks. Drafted 1974, 1 #2 overall by Kingston Canadians in the OHL Priority Selection, Cult/Star player for Kingston Frontenacs. We don't have much information about He's past relationship and any previous engaged. McKegney recalls no special obstacles for him or his two adoptive brothers, who are also black, as they were growing up with a racially mixed family in a city of 50,000. Saunders didn't seem bitter or disappointed about not quite making it in the NHL, Jarrett said. That's where he met Guy Carbonneau, who was in his first full professional season.

Dennis Mikula Obituary, 1600 Westar Drive Oxnard, Ca 93033, Ogk Carts Fake, Should I Request An Interview For Tufts, Articles T